This date could however be liable to change should Highway England encounter adverse weather or other uncontrollable issues. Please see below further details from Highways England on the opening of the new road and demolition of the old bridge:
When the new overbridge does open Highways England will then close off the old overbridge. At this point, all traffic intending to travel over the A14 from Swavesey will use the new overbridge accessing it via the new traffic island constructed on Buckingway Road. Traffic accessing the overbridge from Boxworth will gain access using a slip road from the current traffic island.
At the present time the current slip roads off and onto the A14 on both sides of the A14 will remain in use.
UPDATED INFORMATION (25/10/18): Highways England will be completing the Swavesey bridge demolition and associated works as part of the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon Scheme with a full weekend closure between Junctions 26 (St Ives) and 29 (Bar Hill) in both directions between the following dates: 21:00hrs Fri 16/11/2018 to 06:00hrs Mon 19/11/2018
The diversion route will be A14 – A1198 – A428 – A14
The current schedule shows:
- the A14 will be closed in both directions to allow for removal of the central reservation and other preparatory works, before the actual demolition begins at 6 am.
- The A14 will be closed at junction 26 St Ives and junction 29 Bar Hill.
- There will no access onto the A14 in either direction at Swavesey. Access will be maintained across the A14 via the new overbridge.
- The traffic management plan currently shows the road closed until 06.00 am on Monday 19th November 2018. This allows a contingency period for unexpected eventualities during the demolition.
- If the procedure works as planned then Highways England are aiming to have the road open earlier.
You are asked to check Highways England’s A14c2h social media pages for updates. www.highwaysengland.co.uk/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon-improvement-scheme-home/