Swavesey is a village lying on the Greenwich Meridian in Cambridgeshire, with an approximate population of 2,480. The village is situated 9 miles to the north west of Cambridge and 3 miles south east of St Ives.
The Parish Council has held Quality Council Status since September 2007. In 2015 this moved on to become the Local Council Award Scheme.
The Parish Council consists of 11 Councillors plus the Clerk and Village Handyman.
The next Parish Council elections will be due in May 2018. Find out more about local councils and being a Councillor at NALC – About Local Councils
The primary role of the Parish Council is to represent parishioners on issues affecting the community to District, County and Central Government as well as support and provide local services.
Swavesey Parish Council carries out the following work within the parish:
- Landownership and Maintenance of public open spaces at:
- The Recreation Green, including School Pond
- Market Street Green
- Swan Pond, Station Rd
- Carters Way/Priory Avenue central play area
- Constable’s Rood wildlife garden
- Moat Way green spaces, including the pond
- On behalf of and in conjunction with the County Council:
- Grasscutting of highway verges within the village boundary
- Maintenance of rights of way
- Provides and maintains the following facilities:
- Children’s play area on the recreation green
- Children’s play area on Moat Way green
- Provides and maintains bus shelters, seats, plants tubs and parish noticeboards at various locations in the village
- In conjunction with South Cambridgeshire District Council:
- provides and maintains dog-waste bins and litterbins at various locations in the village
- maintains communal garden areas around the sheltered housing complex in Thistle Green
- Consultee on local development plan issues from both the County and District Councils
- Comments (but not decides) on planning applications.
- Nominates representatives on the following village bodies:
- Swavesey Fire Relief Charity (Frere Cottages)
- The Thomas Galon Charity
- The Charity of George Long for Swavesey Memorial Hall
- The Swavesey Byways Committee
- Swavesey Festival Committee
- Swavesey Community Pavilion Charity
- Parish Plan Group
- Swavesey Action for Youth Committee
- Swavesey Village College Performance Hall
- Community Warden Steering Group
- Supports the work of charitable groups and organisations within the village.
- Nominates representatives on outside bodies including consultation groups and action groups for subjects such as planning, highway improvement schemes, public transport, etc.
For further information on any of these activities please contact the Clerk to the Parish Council firstname.lastname@example.org